NCAAE Position Statement
WE RECOMMEND........Per the actions of the NCHSAA Board of Directors for the coaching requirement for high school coaches 2013-2014, and per the need for continuing professional development by coaches:
- Each non-faculty coach (individual who is not teacher-certified) and each newly hired coach is required to complete the “Fundamentals of Coaching” certification course on-line through the National Federation within 60 days of being hired in order to coach an NCHSAA team.
- All middle school and high school coaches should complete the NFHS Fundamentals of Coaching Class by the end of the 2015-16 academic year.
- All coaches should complete the NFHS Concussions in Sport – What You Need to Know free course.
- All middle school coaches should complete the NFHS Coaching Sports in Middle School course.
- All coaches should maintain current certification in CPR, AED, and First Aid. Note: The NFHS First Aid, Health and Safety course fulfills the requirement for First Aid.
- All coaches should complete the NFHS online course specific to their sport.
- All coaches should complete the courses necessary to become an NFHS Accredited Interscholastic Coach (AIC). www.nfhslearn.com
WE RECOMMEND......all Middle School and High School Athletic Directors become a Registered Athletic Administrator by their 2nd year of administration. Middle school and High School Athletic Directors should become certified as a CAA by 5 years into administration. Middle School Athletic Directors can concentrate on middle school with certification being RMSAA. Please visit www.ncada.info or www.niaaa.org for more information.