North Carolina Physical Education Association
Background: Numerous NCPEA awards are presented at the NC SHAPE State Convention each year. Please consider yourself or a fellow colleague for the awards described below.
Deadline: The deadline for all NCAAHPERD-SM awards is May 1st of the current year.
NCPEA Lifetime Service Award:
- Over 20 years of teaching or working in the field of Physical Education
- Membership and involvement in the North Carolina Physical Education Association
- Significant leadership and advocacy in the profession
NCPEA Teachers of the Year:
Background: Elementary, Middle, and High School, TOYs advance to compete for similar honors in the SHAPE Southern District. Please note that SHAPE America membership is required for District and National TOY awards.
- Member of NC SHAPE and NCPEA or NCAPEA
- Demonstrates evidence of excellence in teaching physical education and dedication to the mission and principles of the NCPEA/NCAPEA and NC SHAPE.
NCPEA Outstanding Physical Education Programs:
- Member(s) of NC SHAPE and the NCPEA.
- Physical Education program teacher(s) demonstrate an understanding of the scope and sequence of Healthful Living Curriculum by teaching age and grade-level appropriate activities.
- Physical Education program teacher(s) serve as a positive role model(s)—exemplifying personal health and fitness, enjoyment of activities, sportsmanship, and sensitivity to the need of students.
- Physical Education program teacher(s) promote physical activity outside of the classroom.
NCPEA Distinguished Principals Awards:
- Elementary Distinguished Principal
- Middle School Distinguished Principal
- High School Distinguished Principal
- Nominees can be a Principal or Assistant Principal at an elementary, middle, or high school level.
- Values the goals and objectives of the Healthful Living Curriculum and supports the efforts of physical educators in accomplishing the goals and objectives.
- Membership in the NCPEA and NC SHAPE is NOT required.
NCPEA Amy Carroll and Sherry Little Memorial NCAAHPERD-SM Convention Scholarships:
Background: The Amy Carroll and Sherry Little Memorial Convention scholarships provide two Healthful Living Professionals up to $400 to be used for registration fees, lodging, travel, and expenses to attend the NC SHAPE Convention. The scholarships serve as a memorial for Amy Carroll and Sherry Little, two Physical Educators whose untimely deaths occurred while en route to the 1990 NCAAHPERD-SM Convention.
- Must be currently employed as a Health Living Professional teacher (public or private) for five years or less.
- Member of NC SHAPE and the NCPEA.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the scope and sequence of Healthful Living Curriculum by teaching age and grade-level appropriate activities.
- Serves as a positive role model(s)—exemplifying personal health and fitness, enjoyment of activities, sportsmanship, and sensitivity to the need of students.
- Scholarship recipients must be in attendance at the NC SHAPE Convention for which scholarship covers.
- Interested educators may apply or be nominated by a colleague.
Background: NCPEA will provide a total of up to $1,000 each year in grants. Funds may be requested for program or professional development, including the following: to purchase equipment or software, to pay for training, to travel to a professional conference, or other similar activities.
- Applicant must be a current member of NC SHAPE and NCPEA for at least the past three years.
- Applicant must be in the 6th year of teaching or beyond.
- Grant proposals should be submitted by June 10th of each calendar year.
- Grant proposals should address the following items:
- How many years have you been teaching physical education?
- How long have you been a member of NC SHAPE and PEA?
- Purpose of the project: (Clearly describe the purpose of the project.)
- Project objectives: (Define specific objectives of the project in terms of measurable outcomes.)
- Strategies: (Describe specific activities. services and steps planned to accomplish the objectives. State the project timeline.)
- Evaluation: (State how and when the success of the project will be determined.)
- Funding Request and Budget (Identify the amount of funding requested and provide a description of how the money will be spent.)
- Benefits of NC SHAPE membership and/or the physical education profession. (List specific ways the project will benefit the Alliance membership and/or profession.)