North Carolina Physical Education Association
Background: Numerous NCPEA awards are presented at the NCAAHPERD-SM State Convention each year. Please consider yourself or a fellow colleague for the awards described below.
Deadline: The deadline for all NCAAHPERD-SM awards is June 10 of the current year.
NCPEA Lifetime Service Award:
- Over 20 years of teaching or working in the field of Physical Education
- Membership and involvement in the North Carolina Physical Education Association
- Significant leadership and advocacy in the profession
NCPEA Teachers of the Year:
Background: Elementary, Middle, High School and Adapted PE TOYs advance to compete for similar honors in the SHAPE Southern District. Please note that SHAPE America membership is required for District and National TOY awards.
- Member of NCAAHPERD-SM and NCPEA or NCAPEA
- Demonstrates evidence of excellence in teaching physical education and dedication to the mission and principles of the NCPEA/NCAPEA and NCAAHPERD-SM.
NCPEA Outstanding Physical Education Programs:
- Member(s) of NCAAHPERD-SM and the NCPEA.
- Physical Education program teacher(s) demonstrate an understanding of the scope and sequence of Healthful Living Curriculum by teaching age and grade level appropriate activities.
- Physical Education program teacher(s) serve as a positive role model(s)—exemplifying personal health and fitness, enjoyment of activities, sportsmanship, and sensitivity to the need of students.
- Physical Education program teacher(s) promote physical activity outside of the classroom.
NCPEA Distinguished Principals Awards:
- Elementary Distinguished Principal
- Middle School Distinguished Principal
- High School Distinguished Principal
- Nominees can be a Principal or Assistant Principal at an elementary, middle, or high school level.
- Values the goals and objectives of the Healthful Living Curriculum and supports the efforts of physical educators in accomplishing the goals and objectives.
* Membership in the NCPEA and NCAAHPERD-SM is NOT required.
NCPEA Amy Carroll and Sherry Little Memorial NCAAHPERD-SM Convention Scholarships:
Background: The Amy Carroll and Sherry Little Memorial Convention scholarships provide two Healthful Living Professionals up to $400 to be used for registration fees, lodging, travel, and expenses to attend the NCAAHPERD-SM Convention. The scholarships serve as a memorial for Amy Carroll and Sherry Little, two Physical Educators whose untimely deaths occurred while en route to the 1990 NCAAHPERD-SM Convention.
- Must be currently employed as a Health Living Professional teacher (public or private) for five years or less.
- Member of NCAAHPERD-SM and the NCPEA.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the scope and sequence of Healthful Living Curriculum by teaching age and grade level appropriate activities.
- Serves as a positive role model(s)—exemplifying personal health and fitness, enjoyment of activities, sportsmanship, and sensitivity to the need of students.
- Scholarship recipients must be in attendance at the NCAAHPERD-SM Convention for which scholarship covers.
- Interested educators may apply or be nominated by a colleague.
Background: NCPEA will provide a total of up to $1,000 each year in grants. Funds may be requested for program or professional development, including the following: to purchase equipment or software, to pay for training, to travel to a professional conference or other similar activities.
- Applicant must be a current member of NCAAHPERD-SM and NCPEA for at least the past three years.
- Applicant must be in the 6th year of teaching or beyond.
- Grant proposals should be submitted by June 10th of each calendar year.
- Grant proposal should address the following items:
- How many years have you been teaching physical education?
- How long have you been a member of NCAAHPERD-SM and PEA?
- Purpose of project: (Clearly describe the purpose of the project.)
- Project objectives: (Define specific objectives of the project in terms of measurable outcomes.)
- Strategies: (Describe specific activities. services and steps planned to accomplish the objectives. State the project timeline.)
- Evaluation: (State how and when the success of the project will be determined.)
- Funding Request and Budget (Identify amount of funding requested and provide a description of how the money will be spent.)
Benefits of NCAAHPERD-SM membership and/or the physical education profession. (List specific ways the project will benefit the Alliance membership and/or profession.)