2020 PE Middle School Teacher of the Year
Jan 15, 2020 - Aug 15, 2020
Background: Being selected as an NC SHAPE Teacher of the Year is one highest honors within our profession. Upon winning State TOY honors, the Elementary PE TOY is eligible to compete for the SHAPE Southern District TOY and possible National TOY recognition. Please note that SHAPE America membership is required for District and National TOY awards. Bonus points may be given to candidates who are SHAPE America members.
- Current member of NC SHAPE.
- Teaching Middle School Physical Education at least 50% when nominated and during the NC SHAPE State Convention.
- Teaching at least 5 years in the field.
- Demonstrates evidence of excellence in teaching and dedication to the mission and principles of the Physical Education field.
- If selected as the NC SHAPE Middle School PE TOY, will need to join SHAPE America in order to advance to District and National selections.
- Verify NC SHAPE Membership: Nominator should ask intended individual prior to nomination to ensure that he/she is NC SHAPE member when nominated and during the time when receiving this award at the Annual State Convention.
- Upload: Two Letters of Recommendation: One from a colleague and one from an administrator/supervisor.
- Upload: Cover Page.
- Upload: Nominee's Written Statement: The eventual winner of this award will be eligible to complete for District and possible National honors. In anticipation of this, we are asking all candidates to respond to the following five characteristics submitted as a single pdf. No more than five pages of text to address the following five characteristics:
- #1: The NC SHAPE Middle School PE TOY should demonstrate understanding of the Physical Education Standards and how to support learning towards Physical Literacy. In your Written Statement, please address "How do you utilize/design your Physical Education curriculum for your students along with physical literacy?"
- #2: The NC SHAPE Middle School PE TOY utilizes various teaching methodologies and appropriate instructional practices. In your Written Statement, please address "What instructional practices and various teaching methods are utilized while teaching?"
- #3: The NC SHAPE Middle School PE TOY plans and implements innovative and diverse experiences to meet the needs of all students. In your Written Statement, please address How do you address the diverse needs of students to be inclusive?"
- #4: The NC SHAPE Middle School PE TOY utilizes on-going student assessment as an essential component of his/her program. In your Written Statement, please address "How do you utilize a variety of student assessments in your teaching?"
- #5: The NC SHAPE Middle School PE TOY advocates for the profession, participates in professional development, service through leadership, presentations and writings. In your Written Statement, please describe "How you advocate for the profession and participate in professional development opportunities such as service through leadership, presentations and/or writings."
Application Documents: Please download the Cover Page as seen below. This page is to be filled out and uploaded along with your Written Statement and two Letters of Recomendation as the last step in applying for this award. If you have any questions, please contact Artie Kamiya, Executive Director (919) 818-6486 or Artie@NCSHAPE.org.
(1) Cover Page
(Click to download word doc) to be submitted with the following two items:
(2) Written Statement
(3) Letters of Recommendation
Please complete the requirements above completely and submit in 3 pdf forms:
- Cover Page – See Cover Page for All TOYS including College University
- Written Statement: Up to 5 pages
- Two Letters of Recommendation
Members: Login to your account. Once you login on each of award page, click "New Submission."
Must be an NCAAHPERD-SM member at the time of the nomination.
Award Deadline: Tentative August 15th due to Coronavirus. However, please note that the Selection Committee can decide to close this as soon as a good number of quality applicants are secured. In other words, please submit now!